Python 2.5 and py-crypto...

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Wed Feb 21 18:54:41 PST 2007

On 21 Feb 2007, at 20:43, Landon Fuller wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2007, at 15:43, Weissmann Markus wrote:
>
>> Hi Douglas,
>>
>> the soon-to-be-released version 1.4 of port will come with a
>> python 2.5 "port group". This will allow us to quickly produce all
>> the python vastness for python 2.5, too.
>> This might be a chance for newcomers to start coding Portfiles:
>> Basically you will have to replace the "GroupCode" line and the
>> name from the python 2.4 module Portfile to get a Python 2.5 one.
>> People with the release candidate of 1.4 installed can already
>> hack away here (just don't put that code into the repository yet -
>> as long as 1.4 is not released)
>
> I'm nonplussed by the massive code duplication that will occur for
> py25 portfiles -- these will almost invariably be direct copies of
> the py24 portfiles.
> I'm not sure of the best solution -- perhaps python portgroup can
> either point to 24 or 25?

I'm  nonplussed (even upset) about broken python applications because
suddenly some py-* ports (read py-wxPython (there may be others--I
just don't know)) depend on python25 while other py-* ports depend on
python24.

The Fink developers hashed out this problem a few years back with
perl version 5.6 / 5.8 problems and concluded that the only road
forward was package duplication. I say duplicate the ports!

Although perhaps if we could create a Portfile.in type or style of
port that really generates multiple installable ports, we'd have an
easy solution...

Randall Wood
rhwood at mac.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the
rest is just philosophy."