Python 2.5 and py-crypto...

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Feb 21 19:07:44 PST 2007

Randall Wood wrote:

> On 21 Feb 2007, at 20:43, Landon Fuller wrote:
>

>> On Feb 21, 2007, at 15:43, Weissmann Markus wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Douglas,
>>>
>>> the soon-to-be-released version 1.4 of port will come with a python
>>> 2.5 "port group". This will allow us to quickly produce all the
>>> python vastness for python 2.5, too.
>>> This might be a chance for newcomers to start coding Portfiles:
>>> Basically you will have to replace the "GroupCode" line and the name
>>> from the python 2.4 module Portfile to get a Python 2.5 one. People
>>> with the release candidate of 1.4 installed can already hack away
>>> here (just don't put that code into the repository yet - as long as
>>> 1.4 is not released)
>>
>> I'm nonplussed by the massive code duplication that will occur for
>> py25 portfiles -- these will almost invariably be direct copies of the
>> py24 portfiles.
>> I'm not sure of the best solution -- perhaps python portgroup can
>> either point to 24 or 25?
>>
> I'm  nonplussed (even upset) about broken python applications because
> suddenly some py-* ports (read py-wxPython (there may be others--I just
> don't know)) depend on python25 while other py-* ports depend on python24.

Ditto.  I am disappointed how the py-wxpython Port has been handled.  I
based a professional product on the 2.6 version 9 months ago which has
shipped and worked great, and when we went to upgrade to HEAD, it
doesn't build.

> The Fink developers hashed out this problem a few years back with perl
> version 5.6 / 5.8 problems and concluded that the only road forward was
> package duplication. I say duplicate the ports!

Well, they don't duplicate ports.  You can specify for a single Perl
module which versions of Perl the module can be built against:

Type: perl (5.8.1 5.8.4 5.8.6 5.8.8)

or for Python:

Type: python (2.3 2.4 2.5)

So there's no code duplication.  We should come up for a way for this to
be done in MacPorts.

> Although perhaps if we could create a Portfile.in type or style of port
> that really generates multiple installable ports, we'd have an easy
> solution...

Agreed.

Regards,
Blair