Python 2.5 and py-crypto...

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Thu Feb 22 03:15:00 PST 2007

On 22.02.2007, at 03:54, Randall Wood wrote:

> On 21 Feb 2007, at 20:43, Landon Fuller wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 2007, at 15:43, Weissmann Markus wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Douglas,
>>>
>>> the soon-to-be-released version 1.4 of port will come with a
>>> python 2.5 "port group". This will allow us to quickly produce
>>> all the python vastness for python 2.5, too.
>>> This might be a chance for newcomers to start coding Portfiles:
>>> Basically you will have to replace the "GroupCode" line and the
>>> name from the python 2.4 module Portfile to get a Python 2.5 one.
>>> People with the release candidate of 1.4 installed can already
>>> hack away here (just don't put that code into the repository yet
>>> - as long as 1.4 is not released)
>>
>> I'm nonplussed by the massive code duplication that will occur for
>> py25 portfiles -- these will almost invariably be direct copies of
>> the py24 portfiles.
>> I'm not sure of the best solution -- perhaps python portgroup can
>> either point to 24 or 25?
>>
> I'm  nonplussed (even upset) about broken python applications
> because suddenly some py-* ports (read py-wxPython (there may be
> others--I just don't know)) depend on python25 while other py-*
> ports depend on python24.
>
> The Fink developers hashed out this problem a few years back with
> perl version 5.6 / 5.8 problems and concluded that the only road
> forward was package duplication. I say duplicate the ports!
>
> Although perhaps if we could create a Portfile.in type or style of
> port that really generates multiple installable ports, we'd have an
> easy solution...

The problem I see here is, that there is code that runs with 2.5 but
not with 2.4 (and vice versa). Therefore we would at least need a
mechanism for also allowing the "cheap" duplicate ports (for 2.4 and
2.5) as there will be modules that work with 2.4 in version A and
only with 2.5 with version B.
Could we perhaps somehow specify two port definitions in one
Portfile? Or find a good mechanism to include the common parts of two
Portfiles from a shared third file? Thoughts?

-Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann
http://www.mweissmann.de/