remove p5-math-bigint port?

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Sat Feb 24 14:17:19 PST 2007

On 2007-02-24 10:50:32 -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2007, at 7:54 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> >It is version 1.77. The version provided by the p5-math-bigint port
> >is 1.73 only. Is there a reason to keep such a port that is not
> >up-to-date and that will never be used because perl first selects
> >the modules distributed with the perl5 port?
>
> A module can explicitly load the non-core module.

But loading an explicit version isn't standard. The installation should
be set up so that the latest version is loaded with "use <module>;".

> >BTW, the latest version of Math::BigInt on CPAN is 1.79.
>
> There probably isn't a reason to have the older one in the tree (but
> there could be a reason to have the newer one available).

Currently this isn't really useful since

  use Math::BigInt lib => 'GMP';

loads the core module, with the default @INC. If someone installs
p5-math-bigint because it is more recent than the core version, he
probably wants it to be loaded instead of the core version.

> >Shouldn't perl5 be upgraded?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean, there's no perl5 port. The perl5.8 port
> is for the latest stable perl release 5.8.8.

Yes, I meant the perl5.8 port. Wouldn't that make version 1.79
available? (Version 1.77 isn't even on CPAN any longer.)

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>