remove p5-math-bigint port?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Feb 26 07:08:34 PST 2007

On Feb 24, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>> A module can explicitly load the non-core module.
>
> But loading an explicit version isn't standard. The installation
> should
> be set up so that the latest version is loaded with "use <module>;".
>
>>> BTW, the latest version of Math::BigInt on CPAN is 1.79.
>>
>> There probably isn't a reason to have the older one in the tree (but
>> there could be a reason to have the newer one available).
>
> Currently this isn't really useful since
>
>   use Math::BigInt lib => 'GMP';
>
> loads the core module, with the default @INC. If someone installs
> p5-math-bigint because it is more recent than the core version, he
> probably wants it to be loaded instead of the core version.

So, yes, someone who uses macports to install perl modules still
needs to understand how perl module loading works (and how CORE
modules are loaded in preference to user/vendor installed modules
with normal @INC ordering).

>>> Shouldn't perl5 be upgraded?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean, there's no perl5 port. The perl5.8 port
>> is for the latest stable perl release 5.8.8.
>
> Yes, I meant the perl5.8 port. Wouldn't that make version 1.79
> available? (Version 1.77 isn't even on CPAN any longer.)

Nope.

perl5.8.8 comes with CORE modules in its distfile.

The options (as I see them) are:
- Leave things as they are, which is a little bit confusing, but
matches 'normal' perl behavior.
- Have perl ports that upgrade CORE modules overwrite files from the
perl5.8 port (to mimic how people normally upgrade CORE modules).
This obviously has some issues.
- Change the @INC ordering to something non-standard (ie. User,
Vendor, CORE instead of CORE, User, Vendor). Deal with the
compatibility issues that may or may not result.
- Get an upstream perl change (in @INC or something else) to make the
behavior match your expectation.

--
Daniel J. Luke