remove p5-math-bigint port?

Salvatore Domenick Desiano sal at ri.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 26 11:28:55 PST 2007

Another trick that RPM uses is to build multiple packages out of a
single source tree. So, here's one possible scheme that wouldn't require
us to implement "local" packages or have packages that fight with each
other.

1) Rename perl5.8 to p5-base.
2) Remove p5-math-bigint related files from the p5-base
3) Make p5-math-bigint build itself from the perl CORE source tree.
4) Add a +cpan variant to p5-math-bigint that builds from CPAN.
5) Create perl5.8 as an empty port that depends on perl5.8 and
    p5-math-bigint.

Now, people get the CORE install when they install perl5.8 (as
expected). If they want to upgrade (many people never do), they
deactivate p5-math-bigint and activate p5-math-bigint+cpan.

Default works reliably, upgrades are possible, and once you upgrade, it
will track upgrades.

We could also reverse the default to match Daniel's suggestion. And, no
PERL5LIB mucking (which I despise) and no multiple copies installed.

Just an idea.

-- Sal
smile.

  Salvatore Domenick Desiano