remove p5-math-bigint port?

Salvatore Domenick Desiano sal at ri.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 26 15:47:07 PST 2007

o > 1) Rename perl5.8 to p5-base.
o > 2) Remove p5-math-bigint related files from the p5-base
o > 3) Make p5-math-bigint build itself from the perl CORE source tree.
o > 4) Add a +cpan variant to p5-math-bigint that builds from CPAN.
o > 5) Create perl5.8 as an empty port that depends on perl5.8 and
o                                                      ^^^^^^^
o >     p5-math-bigint.
o I think you meant p5-base. Debian does something like that too

Correct.

o But I don't think a rename would be necessary. perl5.8 should
o just depend on p5-math-bigint, if I understand correctly.

I think there might b ea circular dependency problem the other way --
p5-math-bigint has to depend on perl5.8, so perl5.8 can't depend on
p5-math-bigint. That's where the p5-base comes in. Breaks the cycle.

The other question would be how to do this without breaking everybody's
ports. Maybe we wait until the next release to introduce this scheme.

-- Sal
smile.