Kernel extensions in MacPorts

Salvatore Domenick Desiano sal at ri.cmu.edu
Sun Jan 14 08:55:37 PST 2007

I think this is a valid and useful extension of MP's mission.

-- Sal
smile.

--------------
  Salvatore Domenick Desiano
    Doctoral Candidate
      Robotics Institute
        Carnegie Mellon University

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Pierre Queinnec wrote:

o Hi all,
o Eridius pointed me on IRC to MacFUSE, the recently released FUSE port to OS X.
o I wanted to see if there is interest in having it in our ports.
o There is a major drawback in having kernel modules in the ports in the fact
o that it's a tad easier for curious & inexperienced users to mess up their
o systems. Of course, it's also a lot cooler for some of us to just install
o sshfs and make it work without spending too much time. This drawback could
o probably be addressed by having a separate category (something called 'kernel'
o for example) where we'd warn users that they can mess their systems up if they
o don't know what they're doing.
o My first question is wether we want kexts in MacPorts at once. FUSE would be a
o fine addition then, we could also add something like a tun/tap device. If we
o are to just distribute the userland stuff, it's going to be harder to get
o users to update their kexts to match the userland libs versions.
o Thoughts on this?
o -- Pierre
o macports-dev mailing list
o macports-dev at lists.macosforge.org