Kernel extensions in MacPorts

Salvatore Domenick Desiano sal at ri.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 15 09:21:10 PST 2007

o with svn HEAD yet), there's no support for a pre-deactivate hook. A
o pre-deactivate hook would be necessary here in order to attempt to
o kextunload the MacFUSE kext (I'm assuming it can be unloaded once
o loaded, if no FUSE filesystems are mounted, but I don't actually know
o that for a fact). Alternately, if the kext cannot be unloaded, a
o post-deactivate hook would be necessary to tell the user that they
o have to reboot. Alternately this could be done in a pre-deactivate
o hook that prompts the user if they really want to continue, knowing
o they'd have to reboot.

While the hooks are probably the *right* way to do this, it occurs to me
that our other packages are not nearly as responsible and perhaps
MacFUSE does not need to be either. That is, none of our packages shut
themselves down before being removed (Apache comes to mind, but any of
the daemons are examples).

The "port" command generally handles installation (which includes adding
hooks for activation) and deinstallation (which includes removing those
hooks), but often does not include running the hooks. In some packages,
the port command finishes with a message like "you may want to run X to
activate this package" (the mysql port comes to mind).

So, if that's the only blocker, I think you're in good shape to do just
as good a job with MacFUSE as we do with other ports. Adding
pre/post-activation hooks could be viewed as a separate task to improve
the MP project as a whole.

-- Sal
smile.

  Salvatore Domenick Desiano