problems building a local port

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez artemio at eresmas.net
Fri Jan 19 12:42:18 PST 2007

I am trying to build locally a port (readline 5.2) by adding

file:///Users/artemio/Archive/dports-dev

to /opt/local/etc/ports/sources.conf, using a modification of the
standard readline 5.1 portfile that I put in my local port directory
(/Users/artemio/Archive/dports-dev/devel/readline). After cd'ing to
said directory, I execute the command

sudo port -dv build

However, this fails miserably as follows:

========================
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: .
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: .
DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.main (readline)
--->  Fetching readline
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.fetch (readline)
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for readline
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.checksum (readline)
--->  Extracting readline
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.extract (readline)
--->  Extracting readline-5.2.tar.gz
DEBUG: setting option extract.args to /opt/local/var/db/dports/
distfiles/readline/readline-5.2.tar.gz
DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_Users_artemio_Archive_dports-dev_devel_readline/work" && gzip -dc /
opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/readline/readline-5.2.tar.gz | /usr/
bin/gnutar --no-same-owner -xf -'
gzip: /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/readline/
readline-5.2.tar.gz: No such file or directory
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.patch (readline)
--->  Applying patches to readline
Error: Target com.apple.patch returned: couldn't change working
directory to "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_Users_artemio_Archive_dports-dev_devel_readline/work/readline-5.2":
no such file or directory
Warning: the following items did not execute (for readline):
com.apple.build com.apple.patch com.apple.configure
========================

If I create by hand the missing directory /opt/local/var/db/dports/
build/_Users_artemio_Archive_dports-dev_devel_readline/work/
readline-5.2 here's the error I get:

========================
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: .
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: .
DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Skipping completed com.apple.main (readline)
DEBUG: Skipping completed com.apple.fetch (readline)
DEBUG: Skipping completed com.apple.checksum (readline)
DEBUG: Skipping completed com.apple.extract (readline)
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.patch (readline)
--->  Applying patches to readline
--->  Applying /Users/artemio/Archive/dports-dev/devel/readline/files/
readline52-001
DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_Users_artemio_Archive_dports-dev_devel_readline/work/readline-5.2"
&& patch -p0'
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|                          READLINE PATCH REPORT
|                          =====================
|
|Readline-Release: 5.2
|Patch-ID: readline52-001
|
|Bug-Reported-by:       ebb9 at byu.net
|Bug-Reference-ID:      <45540862.9030900 at byu.net>
|Bug-Reference-URL:     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/
2006-11/msg00017.html
|                       http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/
2006-11/msg00016.html

|Bug-Description:
|
|In some cases, code that is intended to be used in the presence of
multibyte
|characters is called when no such characters are present, leading to
incorrect
|display position calculations and incorrect redisplay.
|
|Patch:
|
|*** ../readline-5.2/display.c  Thu Sep 14 14:20:12 2006
|--- display.c  Mon Nov 13 17:55:57 2006
--------------------------
File to patch:
Skip this patch? [y]
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
Error: Target com.apple.patch returned: shell command "cd "/opt/local/
var/db/dports/build/_Users_artemio_Archive_dports-dev_devel_readline/
work/readline-5.2" && patch -p0 < "/Users/artemio/Archive/dports-dev/
devel/readline/files/readline52-001"" returned error 1
Command output: can't find file to patch at input line 22
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|                          READLINE PATCH REPORT
|                          =====================
--------------------------
File to patch:
Skip this patch? [y]
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored

Warning: the following items did not execute (for readline):
com.apple.build com.apple.patch com.apple.configure
========================

Simpler commands like

sudo port -dv fetch

are totally ignored:

DEBUG: Changing to port directory: .
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: .
DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Skipping completed com.apple.main (readline)
DEBUG: Skipping completed com.apple.fetch (readline)

I wonder if I'm missing something really obvious here (I used to
build my local ports with a previous version of darwinports, and
never had such a problem). Any suggestions/pointers?

Cheers,

Artemio

Artemio Gonzalez-Lopez
artemio at eresmas.net