problems building a local port

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez artemio at eresmas.net
Sat Jan 20 11:26:37 PST 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 1:19 AM, Mark Duling wrote:

> Artemio Gonzalez Lopez <artemio at eresmas.net> on Friday, January 19,
> 2007
> at 12:42 PM -0800 wrote:
>> I am trying to build locally a port (readline 5.2) by adding
>>
>> [ file:///Users/artemio/Archive/dports-dev
>> ]file:///Users/artemio/Archive/dports-dev
>>
>> to /opt/local/etc/ports/sources.conf, using a modification of the
>> standard readline 5.1 portfile that I put in my local port directory
>> (/Users/artemio/Archive/dports-dev/devel/readline). After cd'ing
>> to said
>> directory, I execute the command
>>
>> sudo port -dv build
>>
>> However, this fails miserably as follows:

>> ===========================
>> DEBUG: Changing to port directory: .
>> DEBUG: Changing to port directory: .
>> DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by port readline.
>> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port readline.
>> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port readline.
>> DEBUG: Executing com.apple.main (readline)
>> --->  Fetching readline
>> DEBUG: Executing com.apple.fetch (readline)
>> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for readline
>> DEBUG: Executing com.apple.checksum (readline)
>> --->  Extracting readline
>> DEBUG: Executing com.apple.extract (readline)
>> --->  Extracting readline-5.2.tar.gz
>> DEBUG: setting option extract.args to
>> /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/readline/readline-5.2.tar.gz
>> DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd
>> "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/_Users_artemio_Archive_dports-
>> dev_devel_readline/work"
>> && gzip -dc
>> /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/readline/readline-5.2.tar.gz |
>> /usr/bin/gnutar --no-same-owner -xf -'
>> gzip: /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/readline/
>> readline-5.2.tar.gz: No
>> such file or directory
>> DEBUG: Executing com.apple.patch (readline)
>> --->  Applying patches to readline
>> Error: Target com.apple.patch returned: couldn't change working
>> directory
>> "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/_Users_artemio_Archive_dports-
>> dev_devel_readline/work/readline-5.2":
>> no such file or directory
>> Warning: the following items did not execute (for readline):
>> com.apple.build com.apple.patch com.apple.configure
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>> ===========================
>
> If readline 5.2 doesn't extract into readline-5.2, you'll need to
> set the
> worksrcdir manually.  The default MacPorts look for is is
> ${name}-${version}, but perhaps it something else.  See what the
> actual
> directory name is and set it.  If the directory name (work/
> readline...) is
> just "readline", then your statement would look like this:
>
> worksrcdir   readline
>
> or better still
>
> worksrcdir   ${name}
>
> Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your message. From the output above, it seems that the
directory name is actually work/readline-5.2, so I set

worksrcdir   ${name}-${version}

in the modified Portfile. This doesn't work either:

imac-g5:~/Archive/dports-dev/devel/readline artemio$ sudo port -dv build
Password:
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: .
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: .
DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port readline.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port readline.
Portfile changed since last build; discarding previous state.
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.main (readline)
--->  Fetching readline
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.fetch (readline)
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for readline
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.checksum (readline)
--->  Extracting readline
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.extract (readline)
--->  Extracting readline-5.2.tar.gz
DEBUG: setting option extract.args to /opt/local/var/db/dports/
distfiles/readline/readline-5.2.tar.gz
DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_Users_artemio_Archive_dports-dev_devel_readline/work" && gzip -dc /
opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/readline/readline-5.2.tar.gz | /usr/
bin/gnutar --no-same-owner -xf -'
gzip: /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/readline/
readline-5.2.tar.gz: No such file or directory
DEBUG: Executing com.apple.patch (readline)
--->  Applying patches to readline
Error: Target com.apple.patch returned: couldn't change working
directory to "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_Users_artemio_Archive_dports-dev_devel_readline/work/readline-5.2":
no such file or directory
Warning: the following items did not execute (for readline):
com.apple.build com.apple.patch com.apple.configure

It also looks like port is looking for readline-5.2.tar.gz in opt/
local/var/db/dports/distfiles/readline/ and not finding it, reporting
an error instead of fetching it. I really have the impression that
perhaps I am not following the right procedure for building a port in
a local directory. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Artemio