Naming of postgresql & related

Jyrki Wahlstedt jwa at macports.org
Tue Jan 23 09:12:13 PST 2007

Hi,
I have 8.0.10 portfiles ready. I assume it is ok to commit that as
postgresql80?! Committing that as postgresql8 would be weird, because
the version would change from 8.1.3 to 8.0.10 causing difficulties
with binary format.

On 20.1.2007, at 16.35, Randall Wood wrote:

> I would not remove port:postgresql, but make it an informative port
> that installs nothing, instead just spewing out an explanation of
> the other postgresql ports.
>
> I would also replace port:postgresql8 with a port:postgresql80 that
> carries the 8.0.x postgresql
> and otherwise just keep the other postgresqlx ports current.
>
> On 20 Jan 2007, at 07:38, Jann Röder wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> this issue just came to my attention again: On the postgreSQl website
>> the following versions are available:
>> - 8.2.1
>> - 8.1.6
>> - 8.0.10
>> - 7.4.15
>>
>> In macports the following ports are available:
>>
>> postgresql                     databases/postgresql 7.4.12
>> postgresql7                    databases/postgresql7 7.4.13
>> postgresql8                    databases/postgresql8 8.1.3
>> postgresql81                   databases/postgresql81 8.1.5
>> postgresql82                   databases/postgresql82 8.2.1
>>
>> It seems to me that the posgresql8 port is installing the wrong
>> version
>> - should be 8.0.10 instead of 8.1.3 , the posgresql port should be
>> removed, postgresql7 and psogresql81 are slightly out of date.
>>
>> So I think the postgresql port (with no version) should be
>> deleted, and
>> the others should be updated.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>
>> Jann
>>
>> Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>>
>>> This was changed because people do 'port upgrade' and wanted
>>> things to
>>> work. And because of your point below, the easiest thing is to
>>> just have
>>> version-specific ports (and let the user handle the file format
>>> incompatible upgrades themselves).
>>>
>>> I believe the 'postgresql' port was deprecated when the decision was
>>> made and that it was intended for it to be removed (but I could
>>> remember
>>> incorrectly).

>>> That is probably possible, but I don't know if it makes sense to
>>> attempt
>>> this (for instance, I have a database that would take days to
>>> dump that
>>> contains data that I'm happy to toss when I want to do an
>>> upgrade, but
>>> the upgrade step can't know that).
>>>
>>> Also, 'upgrade' isn't really a normal target, so it would be a
>>> hack in
>>> the portfile to attempt to do this.

>>> No. Ports don't prompt for things - this would break unattended
>>> (scripted) operation.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Daniel J. Luke
>>> +========================================================+
>>> ----------------* |
>>> | *-------------- http://www.geeklair.net -------------* |
>>> |   Opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily   |
> [...]
!
! Jyrki Wahlstedt
!	skype:jyrkiwahlstedt
!	http://www.wahlstedt.fi/jyrki/
!
! Our life is no dream; but it ought to become one and perhaps will.
! PGP key ID: 0x139CC386 fingerprint: F355 B46F 026C B8C1 89C0  A780
6366 EFD9 139C C386