[21414] trunk/dports/graphics/gd/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jan 23 23:50:15 PST 2007

On Jan 24, 2007, at 00:39, Mark Duling wrote:

>> How do we discover which ports, if any, depend on gd? "port echo
>> depends_lib:gd" does not seem to work (produces an error).
>
> I have found grepping portindex and such to give confusing results,
> maybe
> I just don't know the right method though.  I just did a 'port deps
> all'
> and searched the output.  I see no dependencies on gd 1.x at all
> and it
> seems unlikely there will be new ports depending on it.  I think it is
> nukeworthy.  Nuke! Nuke! Nuke! Nuke!

Thanks for "port deps all"; didn't know that one. It took a long time
to run, but I have now determined that there is exactly one port that
depends on gd: cvsgraph. The port is at version 1.5.0. The changelog
for version 1.5.2 includes "Fix configure script to detect gd-2
problems" so perhaps the current version of cvsgraph, 1.6.1, will
work properly with gd2. cvsgraph has no maintainer, and I don't use
CVS, so perhaps someone else could take a look at whether cvsgraph
can be updated to 1.6.1 and made to use gd2 instead of gd. Then we
can delete the gd port.

"port deps" is, however, broken. The output of "port deps all"
includes this bit:

cvsgraph has build dependencies on:
	hicolor-icon-theme
cvsgraph has library dependencies on:
	gd
cvsgraph has runtime dependencies on:
	python24
	rpm
	yum
cvslock has build dependencies on:
	hicolor-icon-theme
cvslock has library dependencies on:
	gd
cvslock has runtime dependencies on:
	python24
	rpm
	yum

It says cvslock has library dependencies on gd, but it has no such
thing. "port deps" appears to simply not be clearing out the
variables when moving to the next port. The *previous* port
(cvsgraph) had library dependencies on gd, and because cvslock has no
library dependencies on anything, it still prints the info from the
previous port. Same in fact goes for the build and runtime
dependencies: neither of these ports have any kind of dependencies on
hicolor-icon-theme, python24, rpm or yum. This is all made obvious by
calling "port deps" with these two ports in this order, then in the
reverse order:

$ port deps cvsgraph cvslock
cvsgraph has library dependencies on:
         gd
cvslock has library dependencies on:
         gd
$ port deps cvslock cvsgraph
cvslock has no dependencies
cvsgraph has library dependencies on:
         gd

I am unable to find a bug in Trac about this problem. (Or rather, I
am unable to divine a way to search Trac to see if this problem has
already been reported.) Does anyone know if this has already been
reported? Or should I just open a new bug report?