svn:eol-style property

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Wed Jan 24 08:29:49 PST 2007

There are a ton of files in the dports tree that have svn:eol-style
set to native. In theory this would be a good thing, yes?
Unfortunately, it's actually not.

In the specific case of patchfiles (by far the most common type of
file in the files/ directories), line endings cannot be modified or
the patch utility will refuse to apply the chunks. In the more
general case of anything in the files/ directories, I would assume
that these files all were meant to work with their original line
endings, and that, depending on the type of file in there, flipping
the line endings could cause issues. The only type of file in which
one could make a case for native line endings is *.txt files (of
which there are a small handful).

As for the Portfiles themselves, I assume Tcl doesn't care about line
endings, so I see no problem with native eol-style on those.

Does anybody have any objects to my removal of svn:eol-style on all
files in the files/* directories (with the possible exception of
*.txt files)?

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org