svn:eol-style property

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Jan 24 13:06:52 PST 2007

Kevin Ballard wrote:
> I'm not seeing a problem right now, because all of the current
> patchfiles are supposed to have unix line endings.
>
> But some time ago there was a problem - a patchfile I submitted had
> mixed line endings, and the committer converted it to unix and added
> svn:eol-style, which promptly broke the build. That change had to be
> reverted.
>
> The simple fact is, the endline style on patchfiles is explicit and
> should not be touched, therefore svn:eol-style is completely wrong on
> patchfiles.

I agree.

> The glob pattern you have there is going to miss a bunch of patchfiles.
> If you do it right, you end up getting... actually, I don't know the
> exact count. But I know there are 200-something files which *don't*
> match. And those are generally things like apache config files (in the
> case of php), shell scripts, etc. Basically, things which either don't
> care about line endings or will want unix line endings.

I do want svn:eol-style set on those in case somebody checks out a
working copy on Windows, modifies those files and checks them back in.
That would introduce CRLFs into them and gratuitous diffs.

I'm of the mind that mostly everything should have svn:eol-style set
except for those files that shouldn't have it, such as the patch files.

> There's 5 .txt files (actually 7, but 2 are actually patches of .txt
> files), which are the only files I can definitively say don't care about
> line endings. Those are also the only files in which there's a real good
> reason to have native line endings.

Which are those?

> And actually, I can tell you right now that removing svn:eol-style will
> *not* break anything. If it works with svn:eol-style, it will work
> without svn:eol-style. On the other hand, things that work without
> svn:eol-style don't necessarily work with it. And in fact if you were to
> try and use MacPorts on Windows (I have no idea how you'd go about doing
> that outside of cygwin, and it'd have to be outside of cygwin for this
> to matter since, IIRC, cygwin uses unix line endings) then I'd expect a
> lot of stuff (in fact, every single port that has a patchfile with
> svn:eol-style set) to break.
>
> The real issue here isn't that svn:eol-style is breaking builds, because
> it's not (since everybody's building on a system with unix line endings
> anyway). The issue is that svn:eol-style isn't appropriate for the vast
> majority of files on which it's currently set. It's not causing a
> problem, but that doesn't mean it belongs.

Right, it's not appropriate for the patch files.  For non-patch files,
it is appropriate and I would rather leave them on.  So that's why I
suggested my glob, to remove it from patches and leave it on everything
else.

> What I want to do is remove svn:eol-style from all files in the files/
> directories and re-add it to the 5 *.txt files (ignoring the 2
> patchfiles ending in *.txt). It's been suggested that maybe we should
> add it to the Portfiles as well, but I don't think that particularly
> matters (some have it set right now and some don't - a case could be
> made to standardize that).

I disagree.  Take it off of the */*/patch* and the 200 other patches,
which I guess are poorly named then since they don't start with the word
patch, and leave everything else alone.

Granted your pass is less work, but it results in a less correct repository.

I did a pass through Portfiles a while ago to set it on every Portfile.

Regards,
Blair