Trac Ticketing guidelines

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jul 14 20:27:03 PDT 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 18:58, Chris Pickel wrote:

>> 	-) Expected: for most reports on port build failures, users are
>> free to *expect* these to be fixed;
>
> I always felt this name was odd. To me, it implies a sort of
> indifference to the bug: "we expect it'll get fixed sooner or later."
>
> Colloquy's Trac simply defines these as "highest", "high",
> "normal", "low", "lowest" (defaulting of course to "normal"). This
> seems much clearer and perhaps more useful than our current system.

I also found the "priorities" in the MacPorts Trac to be rather odd.
Colloquy's sounds better, but I'd even cut it down to just 3: high,
normal and low. (How would you decide whether a bug is "high" or
"highest" priority?)

>>  *) Milestone: this is easily one of the most important fields in
>> a ticket, proper usage will allow us to find them quicker simply
>> because the roadmap is almost everyone's starting point. On the
>> choices available:
>
> Seems like a bunch of these are only for a single component
> (particularly ports). Maybe some naming could be standardized for
> this? i.e.
>
> New Ports => Port Additions
> Feature Requests => Base Enhancements
> Base Bugs (currently missing?)

"Port Additions" sound like additions to an existing port. How about
"Port Submissions" instead?