[macports-mgr] Re: MacPorts Guide infrastructure requirements

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Mon Jul 16 17:24:39 PDT 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 3:38 AM, markd at macports.org wrote:

> I started fairly clean because I think the logical structure and
> organization of the old guide is fundamentally flawed.  So  I'm of the
> opinion that we should not merge new stuff into the old guide, and I'm
> taking the tack of merging the old stuff into a new guide.  However, I
> just went with the DocBook type "article" and a single file since
> that was
> familiar to me and fastest for me.  So I don't favor merging new
> into old,
> but yet I don't know if I should convert my article to a "book" and/or
> break it up into multiple files along major section.  The latter I
> suspect
> yes; the former I don't know.  Can anyone give advice here?
>
> BTW, I just reorganized the doc structure.  Take a look at the TOC.  I
> like it better now; what do others think?  Look past the ugly
> colors.  :)
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/duling/macports/guide.html
>
> Mark

	Already replied to most of these comments as a PS in my reply to your
last mail to me (rsync replicating servers setup), but I'll do here
briefly too to emphasize:

-) totally love the TOC sidebar, definitely a keeper!
-) I believe the source should be split in multiple xml files, easier
to manage like that in my opinion;
-) article, book... don't know much about dockbook myself, I have to
admit, but definitely do enjoy having each chapter in a single html
page; is that doable in article mode (while retaining the sidebar in
each chapter)?
-) don't merge new into old, lets populate new and move it in place
once it's ready or close to ready, moving the source docs around as
needed and (finally, removing the old!);
-) lets set up automated regen in coordination with both Daniel, now,
and Kevin on MacOSForge servers later on once he has the server side
support finished.

	Regards,...

-jmpp