[27043] trunk/base/portmgr

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Tue Jul 17 20:45:51 PDT 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios <jmpp at macports.org> on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at
12:14 AM -0800 wrote:
>> Got it.  Here is my description.  Sound good?  Are the terms I use ok?
>>
>> "You may setup an rsync replication server on your local network to
>> minimize internet delay and bandwidth when performing MacPorts
>> selfupdates. An rsync replication server pulls the latest rsync data
>> (MacPorts base and port sources) from the remote MacPorts rsync
>> mirrors
>> via selfupdate, and then serves as the rsync source when rsync
>> replication
>> clients on the local network perform selfupdates."
>
>"You may setup an rsync replication server on your local network to
>minimize internet delay and bandwidth when performing MacPorts
>sync and selfupdate operations. An rsync replication server pulls the
>latest necessary data (MacPorts release & development sources and
>the ports tree) from the remote MacPorts svn server via the
>base/portmgr/mprsyncup script and then serves up the results as the
>rsync modules used by the replication clients on the local network
>that perform
>the sync and selfupdate operations, per the configurations on the base/
>portmgr/rsync.repos
>file."

I don't like the term rsync modules".  Is that standard and/or useful
terminology?  Is it synonymous with directory?  I think the term either
needs to be defined or dropped.  It is quite confusing.

And I think we tend to throw out the term "sync" once in awhile and
confuse people.  I don't think I've ever used it.  I wonder if we should
not be emphasizing "port sync" like this.  Perhaps it should be relegated
the obscurity of a reference section somewhere.  Or am I wrong?

>	That was both correcting the technicalities and trying to stick to
>your writing style ;-) Keep the technicalities but feel free to reword
>it if necessary. One thing that's not included there is my note about
>periodicity and my urge to discuss it with portmgr prior to setting up
>a replicant server.

I put it in a note:
http://homepage.mac.com/duling/macports/guide.html#d0e712

>> 1) What are the functional roles of the scripts mprsyncup and
>> rsync.repos?
>

>	mprsycnup is the script that bootstraps the rsync modules off the
>MacPorts svn server; rsync.repos is an rsyncd.conf mockup
>configuration file explaining how the replicant rsync server should be
>setup (actually, rsync.repos details exactly how the main macports
>rsync server is configured).

Is this a non-traditional use of "bootstrap"?  If rsync modules are just
directories, I would think there are more common and intuitive words for
this.  I wonder if "downloads" is ok.

I'll have to look at the rest and try to finish the section tomorrow.  I
haven't finished reading the information you've given me so far.  I'd like
to get this section free of jargon unless it really has some significant
meaning.  Thanks for all your help.

Mark