[27155] trunk/dports/python/py-psyco/Portfile

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Sun Jul 22 14:10:11 PDT 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 2:10 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Do we
> really need to take care of other Operating Systems than Mac OS X? I
> mean, it's called MacPorts now and is targeted on users of Mac OS
> X. Who
> is using it on another system?

We use MacPorts for a large software system that is Mac and Linux at
the moment, and our group is considering using MacPorts for managing
our Linux dependencies, as well.

So we'd perhaps "port" MacPorts to Linux.

> And also see the wine port again, LDFLAGS like "-framework" won't work
> on other platforms... As platform is set to "darwin", I think this is
> okay, but contrary to your statement above.

Exactly what the "platform" tag is designed to do: we'd add "platform
linux" stanzas to our ports, that would (of course) not have settings
like "-framework" in them. Many (if not most) open-source packages
already target linux successfully, so in most cases autoconf would
determine the correct settings. I think.

We haven't started a Linux port in earnest yet.

Of course, I'm one of those nut jobs who tried to bring gentoo
portage to Mac OS X about five years ago. Oy.

  - boyd

Boyd Waters
Scientific Programmer (no, really, that's what they call me)
National Radio Astronomy Observatory
Socorro, New Mexico