foo_select(8)

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Thu Jul 26 06:07:11 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I've just submitted a new port 'gcc_select', that'll basically do the
same as Apple's gcc_select(8) but for the C compilers MacPorts has in
stock.
There is a small manpage and 'gcc_select -h' also answers some
questions.

The real deal behind this tool is, that it can be used for any kind
of software. I'm thinking about the different Python (Tcl, ..)
interpreters, compilers (swi-prolog) etc. we have.
So e. g. 'python_select' will allow a user to choose which version of
Python will start when calling 'python' and which manpage will be
opened for 'man python'.
To create another foo_select, simply have a look at the gcc_select
Portfile - it's very straight forward.

There are currently some unsolved problems (thats why the version
number is 0.1 ...) among them is, that there are no checks if the
user rights are sufficient (tool will then fail with some probably
strange error). You can find the source code (for now) in my personal
MacOSForge repository [1] - if we reach a more stable state, we
should probably move it into the official MacPorts repo.

Regards,

-Markus

[1] http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/users/mww/select/

---