foo_select(8)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 26 13:58:31 PDT 2007

On Jul 26, 2007, at 08:07, Weissmann Markus wrote:

> I've just submitted a new port 'gcc_select', that'll basically do
> the same as Apple's gcc_select(8) but for the C compilers MacPorts
> has in stock.
> There is a small manpage and 'gcc_select -h' also answers some
> questions.
>
> The real deal behind this tool is, that it can be used for any kind
> of software. I'm thinking about the different Python (Tcl, ..)
> interpreters, compilers (swi-prolog) etc. we have.
> So e. g. 'python_select' will allow a user to choose which version
> of Python will start when calling 'python' and which manpage will
> be opened for 'man python'.
> To create another foo_select, simply have a look at the gcc_select
> Portfile - it's very straight forward.
>
> There are currently some unsolved problems (thats why the version
> number is 0.1 ...) among them is, that there are no checks if the
> user rights are sufficient (tool will then fail with some probably
> strange error). You can find the source code (for now) in my
> personal MacOSForge repository [1] - if we reach a more stable
> state, we should probably move it into the official MacPorts repo.

There is only one MacPorts repository, and your project is currently
in your user subdirectory of that repository.

I saw these commits of yours fly by, and this might be interesting to
use to select between php4 and php5. Though I haven't yet looked to
see exactly how it works / what it does. (Just setting a symlink? Or
is there more to it?)