[26328] trunk/dports/gnustep/Etoile/Portfile

Yves de Champlain yves at macports.org
Tue Jun 19 16:00:49 PDT 2007

Le 07-06-19 à 18:16, Juan Manuel Palacios a écrit :

> 	Hi Yves! A couple of notes about this commit, if you don't mind:
>
> On Jun 19, 2007, at 5:17 PM, source_changes at macosforge.org wrote:
>
>> Revision
>> 26328
>> Author
>> yves at macports.org
>> Date
>> 2007-06-19 14:17:05 -0700 (Tue, 19 Jun 2007)
>> Log Message
>>
>> Add a devel variant to keep the unstable stuff out of the stable
>> (Oh boy !)
>
> 	I couldn't make it out from your edits, so I'm not sure if the
> devel variant changes the port version number (a big NO-NO!!), but
> even if it doesn't everybody is much better off if you turn it (the
> devel variant) into a different port. Even if for consistency with
> other -devel ports.

Um, the fact here is that Etoile is many things (apps, frameworks,
theme engine ...).  The devel variant just builds the whole package
and enables debugging while the novariant builds a reduced set,
targetting only the stable parts of the exact same source tree.  I
won't argue about the consistency, but making two different ports
means that they will overlap with one another and there is no
mechanism in MP about this (except failing on activate).

What do you think ?

>> +    system "
>> +        cd GNUstep/Local/Tools &&
>> +        ln -s ../Applications/Calc.app/Calc &&
>> +        cd ../Library/Headers &&
>> +        rm -f AddressBook &&
>> +        ln -s Addresses AddressBook
>> +    "
>>  }
>
> 	You don't need a "system" call to do any of those things.
> Portfiles understand cd, we have an internal implementation for ln
> and one for delete

Right. Now it's been a while but I always used "system" for symlinks
because I ran into troubles with the tcl "file link".  I don't
remember exactly, but I think I got the build/destroot paths
hardcoded in the symlinks.   And I also had problems with the newer
tcl extensions (copy, move) which I don't use either.  I don't
remember what happened exactly, but trying to use them was breaking
my port, I don't think I filed a bug report on that, but I always use
the tcl "file", except for symlinks of course.

Any similar experiences about this ?

yves