Configure & build environment flags

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 23 15:00:05 PDT 2007

On Jun 23, 2007, at 16:27, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 	I'm curious about why we provide facilities to alter the configure
> environment in many ways but practically none to alter the build
> environment. I know that in the ideal case (a properly written
> build system for any given software package) the configure
> environment should either cascade down to the build one (Makefiles
> inheriting and passing the same env flags that were given during
> the configure stage, for instance) or its results should be
> reflected there (the setting of some variable in generated
> Makefiles), but we all know there are quite a handful of broken
> build systems in which neither of these two is true. Therefore some
> Portfiles have the need of passing some (if not the same) flags to
> the environment during build (build.env) as they do in the
> configure stage.
>
> 	So, onto my specific questions, is there any reason why we don't
> provide the build.xxflags-{append,delete} equivalents that we do
> for configure.xxflags-{append,delete}? How these would work
> (inheriting values, replicating them, overriding them,...) I'm not
> entirely sure, but you can easily spot Portfiles out there using
> build.env construct that may tread on what's set through the
> configure.xxflags if not used carefully. Also, if we're deprecating
> configure.env, shouldn't we be doing the same for build.env? And
> lastly, again on the deprecation of configure.env, what's our stand
> with respect to {configure,build}.env-{append,delete}?
>
> 	I would completely understand if you told me none of these things
> have been implemented yet 'cause simply you've had "no time" ;-)
> But I was wondering if there were intead any type of technical
> decisions behind the lack of a build environment tweaking facility.

I also recently noticed the lack of build.cppflags-append and asked
the list about it and got no response.

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2007-May/001774.html

I wasn't aware configure.env was deprecated. It's still used and
required by many ports. I thought we just deprecated using
configure.env for setting LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS. Is that all you meant?