Configure & build environment flags

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sat Jun 23 14:27:45 PDT 2007

	Hello Paul!

	I'm curious about why we provide facilities to alter the configure
environment in many ways but practically none to alter the build
environment. I know that in the ideal case (a properly written build
system for any given software package) the configure environment
should either cascade down to the build one (Makefiles inheriting and
passing the same env flags that were given during the configure stage,
for instance) or its results should be reflected there (the setting of
some variable in generated Makefiles), but we all know there are quite
a handful of broken build systems in which neither of these two is
true. Therefore some Portfiles have the need of passing some (if not
the same) flags to the environment during build (build.env) as they do
in the configure stage.

	So, onto my specific questions, is there any reason why we don't
provide the build.xxflags-{append,delete} equivalents that we do for
configure.xxflags-{append,delete}? How these would work (inheriting
values, replicating them, overriding them,...) I'm not entirely sure,
but you can easily spot Portfiles out there using build.env construct
that may tread on what's set through the configure.xxflags if not used
carefully. Also, if we're deprecating configure.env, shouldn't we be
doing the same for build.env? And lastly, again on the deprecation of
configure.env, what's our stand with respect to {configure,build}.env-
{append,delete}?

	I would completely understand if you told me none of these things
have been implemented yet 'cause simply you've had "no time" ;-) But I
was wondering if there were intead any type of technical decisions
behind the lack of a build environment tweaking facility.

	Regards,...

-jmpp