[26541] trunk/doc/guide/xml/portfiles/details.xml

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Sat Jun 30 09:57:50 PDT 2007

On 29/06/2007, at 22:49, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 	What I tried to do there was detail how the changes would happen
> in progress:
>
> opt/local/etc/ports/ports.conf          ----->     /opt/local/etc/
> ports/macports.conf
> /opt/local/etc/ports/dp_version          ----->     /opt/local/etc/
> ports/mp_version
> /opt/local/etc/ports                     ----->     /opt/local/etc/
> macports
>
> 	So that readers would actually catch each and every single change.
> The last line indeed tells you "/opt/local/etc/ports" becomes "/opt/
> local/etc/macports". I added the word "gradual" in "WIth respect to
> installation paths, a default MacPorts installation upgraded to
> this branch would experience the following gradual moves:" to try
> to explain this better, but let me know if you'd like to see an
> "overall results" box with what will finally be there.

I see, I misunderstood how that was supposed to be read; I had
assumed that they were independent, though a closer reading shows
that, as a whole, that can't make sense.  Perhaps emphasis that the
steps are sequential rather than independent would also be in order.

> 	Hhhhmm, I just logged in right now with no problems. Try some
> standard debugging techniques like dumping cache, restarting your
> browser or similar and try again, let me know if you're still
> experiencing problems.

It works okay now from another location; I think I'll have to chalk
the problem up to some unfathomable problem caused by my university's
brain-dead installation of the Squid caching proxy.  For some reason
the people employed to actually run my university's network seem far
less competent than many of those learning about such things, let
alone the staff we have teaching about and researching them.  Oh well.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang (Boey is my surname)