Universal ports: mozilla's unify script

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 5 22:56:38 PST 2007

If we're serious about universal binaries, the mozilla project's
unify script is useful. Install once for ppc to a given path, install
a second time for i386 to a different path, then call unify, telling
it where your ppc and i386 builds are, and it combines them into a
new third tree, using lipo on any files as needed.

If you can build without using lipo, great, but if you need lipo,
then unify is a time saver, not having to engineer all that logic
again of figuring out what needs to be lipo'd.

Now it's just a question of licensing, and I'm no expert in that. Is
it possible to take the unify script from mozilla and incorporate it
nicely into MacPorts? Are our respective licenses compatible for that
kind of inclusion?