MacPorts 1.4 release candidate 1

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Fri Mar 9 20:26:03 PST 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 10:18 PM, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> I just checked Trac and found it odd that we don't have any
> milestones. Shouldn't we have a 1.4 milestone, and a 1.5 milestone,
> etc? By doing this we can mark any tickets filed against 1.4rc1 for
> the 1.4 milestone, so people like me can know if there's anything that
> needs to be fixed for the release.
>
> Incidentally, please tell me if there's anything that needs to be
> fixed for the release, and I'll take a look. I just got back from
> vacation, so I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment.
>
> -Kevin

	Hey Kevin! Yeah, thanks for reminding me about the milestones, long
ago I thought about drawing a rather detailed MacPorts roadmap but it
slipped through the cracks of my tight schedule. In short, yes, we do
need one to plan ahead for our new features and bug fixes, mostly a 1.5
thing now that we're almost done with 1.4, in my opinion.

	Nevertheless, I just created 1.4 and 1.5 milestones, accessible
through trac's roadmap. They're both rather bare bones at the moment,
later on I'll work on writing some descriptions for them and assigning
tickets detailing our release goals. There is, though, one ticket
reported by Yves assigned to 1.4, #11417, which I haven't been able to
look at yet so I'd love it if you could take a stab at it! Other than
that, and for everyone else reading this and with ticket edit trac
privileges, feel free to assign to the 1.4 milestone any tickets
dealing with bugs in the release candidate sources
(http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/tags/release_1_4_0-rc1/).

	As for 1.5, for some time already I've had a draft mail detailing my
ideas for that release which I plan to send to this list when I get
back from my weekend. Once we all go over them and reach consensus, we
can start creating appropriate task tickets and assigning them to the
1.5 milestone. As a side note, my 1.5 goals mostly coincide with what
Jordan drafted as potential SoC projects. I wont be able to complete
the application to Google before tomorrow (which is when I leave for
the weekend), so I'm hoping James will be able to fill in for me
(Monday is the deadline).

	Lastly, I'll also look into creating a milestone specifically for
tickets filed against the ports tree, or maybe even two: one tracking
tickets for new port submissions and one for bug reports & patches
against existing ports. These are just ideas off the top of my head,
feel free to discuss them and suggest something different/better (there
could be more milestones.. but maybe not not too many to not spread
things too thin).

	Well, mail rather long now, I better get a hold of myself before I
bore you all ;-) Regards,...

-jmpp