Homegrown destroot, maybe chroot?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 10 20:06:11 PST 2007

This question isn't about using MacPorts but about how MacPorts does
something that I want to do elsewhere. How does it do the destroot
phase?

I have some software I would like to build. It happens to be
Graphviz. There are a dozen other packages on which Graphviz depends.
Ultimately they need to go into a location under /usr/local which
would require root access, but I would like to build them in a user-
writable temporary location first.

If I'm not mistaken, MacPorts accomplishes its destroot phase by
using, usually

make install DESTDIR=/foo

where /foo is the destroot directory of the work directory. The
software gets installed in /foo/opt/local/whatever. Then, later,
during the install phase, everything from /foo gets merged with the
real /opt/local. Right? Right.

What if I have multiple packages I want to install in the temporary
directory before installing? Say I want to install libpng, which
depends on zlib. But if zlib is only in the temporary destroot
directory, the libpng build won't find it there when I've told it the
dependencies are to be found in /usr/local. And if I instead tell
libpng to link with zlib in the temporary destroot, won't that be the
location where libpng forever looks for zlib, even after I've tried
to install everything in /usr/local?

Is there a way to make this work? Maybe something I need to do in
addition to setting DESTDIR during make install? Or is there a
different option? It occurs to me to try to use a chroot, but I've
never used one before. Does that sound like a good thing to try --
make a chroot which contains an empty /usr/local directory, links
(hard links?) to /usr/bin, /usr/X11R6, /System, and other things the
build is likely to need, and do the build in there, letting it think
it's writing to the real /usr/local when it's really not? Any other
suggestions for building multiple packages in a temporary directory
before installation?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

The ultimate goal, in case you're wondering, is that I would like to
do a complete build of Graphviz -- from decompressing the source
archives, all the way up to creating a disk image containing an
installer package -- without requiring root access. Running the
installer package would require root access, but I don't want the
build system to require root.