Homegrown destroot, maybe chroot?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 11 19:58:07 PDT 2007

Hi, Jann. Thanks for your reply.

On Mar 11, 2007, at 05:38, Jann Röder wrote:

> There are two solutions for your library problem:
> 1. Export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH before launching the software, so that the
> linker knows where to find the libraries

Do you mean: export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH while compiling the other
software, so it knows where to find its dependencies, and then
everything will work normally when running the software later, or do
you mean to export the variable in order to actually run the software
later? If the latter, that won't do. I don't want to affect how end
users use the software. I just want the build system to not require
root access.

> 2. When building the libraries pass -install_name ${prefix}/lib/
> $outfile
> to the linker. ${prefix}/lib/$outfile is the final installation
> destination of the library. This approach requires patching the
> makefile.

That sounds like a lot more work. Especially since you mention a
specific outfile, but I don't know which files these packages
install. Many packages install dozens of files, in lib, in include,
in share, and so on. I don't want to have to figure out for each
package which files it installs.

Do you have any comment on whether or not my chroot idea could work?
That's probably the solution I will try, unless anyone else has
suggestions.