GUI

Gerd Flaig gefla at pond.sub.org
Tue Mar 20 02:08:55 PDT 2007

Dzema Dmitriy <dimad at ag.ru> writes:

> I've read on Google summer of code page about GUI and i want to make
> one :)  Do you have ideas about something special, what GUI may
> provide besides ordinary thing like list of all ports, search, sorting?

for my part: I like the navigation features of aptitude, e.g. in the
details view of a package, I can follow one of the dependencies and
get to the details view of that package.

Lots of interconnections: I search for 'fubar', get a list of ports
that contain files or directories containing fubar as a substring
along with their status. From there, one click to installation or
detail view. Maybe 'view all files'. Optional display of
active/inactive variants. Show if there's something to clean up (work
files, tarballs, ...). Check for updates (selfupdate).

If you have used MacPorts, you will surely come up with more ideas.

        Goodbyte, Gerd.
--
The last thing one knows in constructing a work is what to put first.
                -- Blaise Pascal