Newbie ncursesw problem - can't install apache2

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 23 03:10:05 PDT 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 10:57, Elias Pipping wrote:

> This is a serious problem btw. That "oh there's a universal
> variant, it'll surely work" thought, which is perfectly natural but
> doesn't work in this case. That's why
>
>     http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/Universal
>
> needs to be extended and made aware of. (alternatively, a port
> could be required to hold some keyword in order to allow for
> building with +universal. like 'build_universal yes' or something.

I think your wiki list is perhaps helpful right now, but not a viable
long-term solution. I would want a solution that's completely
contained within the MacPorts software.

I would prefer a variable named something like "universal_works" or
"universal_ok" which could be set to "yes" or "no". The default would
be neither, more of an "I don't know" or "maybe" state. Ports where
the maintainer has tried the +universal variant and believes it to
work should have "universal_ok yes" added. Ports that have been
tested and found not to work universally should be marked with
"universal_ok no" (that's assuming they cannot be easily fixed to
work universally). Anyone who tries to build a port that has neither
marking would get a warning that the universal build is untested, and
that they should let us know if they find that it works or doesn't work.