Newbie ncursesw problem - can't install apache2

Elias Pipping pipping at macports.org
Fri Mar 23 07:33:38 PDT 2007

On Mar 23, 2007, at 11:10 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2007, at 10:57, Elias Pipping wrote:
>
>> This is a serious problem btw. That "oh there's a universal
>> variant, it'll surely work" thought, which is perfectly natural
>> but doesn't work in this case. That's why
>>
>>     http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/Universal
>>
>> needs to be extended and made aware of. (alternatively, a port
>> could be required to hold some keyword in order to allow for
>> building with +universal. like 'build_universal yes' or something.
>
> I think your wiki list is perhaps helpful right now, but not a
> viable long-term solution. I would want a solution that's
> completely contained within the MacPorts software.

It wasn't meant to be a standalone solution. A start rather. I'd like
an infrastructure like the guys over at gentoo have it.[1] (without
the wait for something to become stable, though, at least at first)

> I would prefer a variable named something like "universal_works" or
> "universal_ok" which could be set to "yes" or "no". The default
> would be neither, more of an "I don't know" or "maybe" state. Ports
> where the maintainer has tried the +universal variant and believes
> it to work should have "universal_ok yes" added. Ports that have
> been tested and found not to work universally should be marked with
> "universal_ok no" (that's assuming they cannot be easily fixed to
> work universally). Anyone who tries to build a port that has
> neither marking would get a warning that the universal build is
> untested, and that they should let us know if they find that it
> works or doesn't work.

That's good for now, but it's only a short term solution as well,
because it only says something about the universal variant whereas we
need information about what works for every package on every
supported platform with every variant (the variants will be ugly).

[1] http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=bash

Regards,

Elias