python2.5 has wrong value for distutils.sysconfig.get_config_var("PYTHON")

David Glasser glasser at mit.edu
Tue May 1 15:53:11 PDT 2007

[oops, wasn't on mailing list the first time I tried to send this]

Currently, MacPorts installs python2.4 as /opt/local/bin/python and
Python 2.5 only as python2.5.  However, the Python 2.5 install doesn't
know this; in its makefile (which ends up installed as
/opt/local/lib/python2.5/config/makefile), it still believes that

PYTHON=         python$(EXE)

which means that

 distutils.sysconfig.get_config_var("PYTHON")

returns "python" instead of "python2.5", which means that python
programs that rely on this config var to be able to run python from
the command line run the wrong version of python.

Can we fix the build process so that python 2.5 is configured with
PYTHON=python2.5, instead of tricking it into thinking it is called
python and just deleting python in the post-destroot?

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser at mit.edu | http://www.davidglasser.net/

--