Mailing List Prefix

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 1 15:32:11 PDT 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 17:04, Eric Tiffany wrote:

> On 5/1/07 5:24 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Well, the lists originally had a prefix, but it was removed following
>> the discussion "Remove list prefix?" available here:
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2006-September/
>> thread.html
>>
>> Granted, the discussion also argued for using an abbreviated prefix
>> like "[MPD]". But the List-Id header is sufficient to configure your
>> mail program's filters. I  have it configured to move mail to another
>> mail folder. If you don't want to do that, you can have your mail
>> program do something else -- whatever options your mail program
>> offers. Set the color of the message when shown in the list, for
>> example. However, I recommend you use separate mail folders. It
>> really is much better. Why do you think you would never read mail in
>> another folder?
>>
>> List prefixes are problematic for various reasons. They take up
>> horizontal space in the message list, as you know. And things become
>> worse when messages are cross-posted to multiple lists and then gain
>> multiple prefixes.
>
> Hmm, that thread certainly doesn't lead to the conclusion that the
> prefix
> should be removed.  In fact, it seems to be the consensus that
> something
> like [mp-users] or [mp-dev] would be the right choice for a prefix.
>
> I would actually prefer [mports-d], but any prefix would help.  I
> don't want
> to filter my messages into other boxes and I like the visual cue of
> the
> prefix.

I agree there was something of a leap between the discussion that
took place and the action which eventually resulted. However, I
believe it was the correct action to take. If what I have said so far
has not convinced you of this, perhaps someone else's article will:

http://www.l33tskillz.org/writing/tagging-harmful/