[24526] trunk/dports/lang/gcc42/Portfile

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Thu May 3 03:31:44 PDT 2007

Hi Juan,

On 27 Apr 2007, at 18:04, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> On Apr 27, 2007, at 11:30 AM, source_changes at macosforge.org wrote:
>
>> Revision 24526 Author mww at macports.org Date 2007-04-27 08:30:45
>> -0700 (Fri, 27 Apr 2007) Log Message version (prerelease)
>> 4.2.0-20070316, change program suffix to "-mp-${major}"
>

> 	Nice going with this rename, in sync with my dp2mp-move branch ;-)
> Will we see this move in other gcc ports, like gcc41, even though
> they're no longer current? I figure some users might still have a
> need for them, and will probably be confused by the deprecated "dp"
> prefix. Maybe we should get a message out to all port maintainers
> who use any incarnation of  [dD]arwin[pP]orts in their
> installations to move to the new naming.... /me thinks...

I think for the gcc42 port, it's no big problem chaning the suffix as
only four (?) ports use it at all. Also gcc 4.2 is in beta phase so
it is not guaranteed to work at all and people will update much more
likely than with the gcc40 or gcc41 ports.
For those I'd say we leave symlinks for backwards compatibility, like
"gcc-mp-4.0" being the name of the binary and a symlink pointing to
it with name "gcc-dp-4.0". I suppose we should document this naming
scheme anywhere though - both, the old and new one.

salut,

-Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann