Maintainer but not committer with update: Submitted a Trac ticket, now I just wait?

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Fri May 4 23:47:02 PDT 2007

Hi there,

>> I am the maintainer of 'lang/slime' for which I have submitted a
>> ticket to Trac [1], attaching it to the Milestone "Port Updates".
>>
>> Now I just wait for a committer to notice this, or should I bring
>> it to some email address's attention?  The Wiki has the start [2]
>> of guide to these questions, but no answers, for which it would be
>> good to fill in even provisional answers to the procedure.
>
> ive been wondering the same thing ... sometimes they snatched up
> right away, others might sit indefinitely, as these two appear to
> have been doing for the last month:

The problem is that, at the moment, Trac does not automatically send
a notification email to the assignee of a ticket, so you need to put
the assignee's email address into the Cc: field.  I don't know
whether or not anyone is trying to fix this problem, but it is
documented [1].  I agree, however that it should at least be linked
to from [2]; I'll try to do that in the next day or so.  There is
also a macports-tickets@ mailing list that ostensibly has mail posted
to it by Trac whenever a ticket is opened, but I've never received
anything from it; does anyone know why this feature isn't working
either?

On 05/05/2007, at 04:03, Matt Meissner wrote:

> Back in the day, there was a committer or two assigned to each port
> category.  Submitters were instructed to change the owner of a bug
> to the category committer.
>
> Portmgr, is that policy still in effect?  If so, where is the up-to-
> date list of category owners?

The policy in [1] suggests to me that the current policy is just to
assign bugs to macports-dev@ when there is no other obvious
assignee.  I'm not aware of the old policy that you describe (I've
been a user since DarwinPorts ran on 10.2, but I've only been
contributing for a few months now), so my guess is that it has lapsed
due to churn of contributors or similar.  I certainly think that the
old policy has merit, but it seems to me that MacPorts needs a little
more organisational structure among its current contributors before
we can return to it.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

[1] http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/TracTicketing