MacPorts v1.4.40 released for self update

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue May 8 08:33:53 PDT 2007

On May 8, 2007, at 5:52 AM, James Berry wrote:

> Hi Blair,
>
> On May 7, 2007, at 11:10 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:
>

>> On May 7, 2007, at 9:59 PM, James Berry wrote:
>>
>>> Here's the change log:
>>>
>>> James
>>>
>>> Release 1.4.40 (7-May-2007, tagged at r24909 by jberry):
>>>

>> James,
>>
>> Thanks for pushing this release out.
>>
>> Did the changes to bz2 make it in in the unarchive?  I didn't see
>> the revisions in this list.
>
> I do remember something about those, but it's  bit foggy. Did the
> changes make it into trunk, or is there a particular ticket they
> were submitted on?

Yes, they made it into trunk and there's no ticket for them.  I guess
I need to merge my change in trunk over to the release_1_4 branch?

>> Also, I tried to figure out on branches/release_1_4 what's been
>> merged in and there's no information in the log message on what
>> revisions were merged from trunk.  The one place that svn isn't
>> great is in merge tracking support; without an explicit log
>> message or other tool to keep track of what's been merged, there's
>> no way to tell what's been merged.  So I request we do the following:
>>
>> 1) Document the revisions merged into the branch in the log message.
>> 2) Switch to using svnmerge.py for the next branch 1.5.  This will
>> allow us to see what revisions have been merged.
>
> In recent releases (and until we can't) release_1_4 branch has just
> be tracking trunk, with all changes in trunk merged over. Its easy
> to merge and easy to document. But if there's failure to document
> something that goes into trunk, there's likewise failure to
> document what comes out the other end in release_1_4.

How are you doing the merge now?  How are you keeping track of which
revisions have been merged over?

> Thanks for the suggestion of svnmerge.py. I haven't had time to
> even think about it. You want to become the release manager for
> MacPorts?

svnmerge.py will make life simplier, and there's a command
'svnmerge.py avail -l' that shows all unmerged changes.  Also,
'svnmerge.py merge' creates a commit message file containing all the
commits on the trunk, so there's almost no additional documentation
work.

And I'll pass on being the release manager :)

Regards,
Blair