MacPorts v1.4.40 released for self update

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Tue May 8 05:52:23 PDT 2007

Hi Blair,

On May 7, 2007, at 11:10 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:

> On May 7, 2007, at 9:59 PM, James Berry wrote:
>
>> Here's the change log:
>>
>> James
>>
>> Release 1.4.40 (7-May-2007, tagged at r24909 by jberry):
>>

> James,
>
> Thanks for pushing this release out.
>
> Did the changes to bz2 make it in in the unarchive?  I didn't see
> the revisions in this list.

I do remember something about those, but it's  bit foggy. Did the
changes make it into trunk, or is there a particular ticket they were
submitted on?

> Also, I tried to figure out on branches/release_1_4 what's been
> merged in and there's no information in the log message on what
> revisions were merged from trunk.  The one place that svn isn't
> great is in merge tracking support; without an explicit log message
> or other tool to keep track of what's been merged, there's no way
> to tell what's been merged.  So I request we do the following:
>
> 1) Document the revisions merged into the branch in the log message.
> 2) Switch to using svnmerge.py for the next branch 1.5.  This will
> allow us to see what revisions have been merged.

In recent releases (and until we can't) release_1_4 branch has just
be tracking trunk, with all changes in trunk merged over. Its easy to
merge and easy to document. But if there's failure to document
something that goes into trunk, there's likewise failure to document
what comes out the other end in release_1_4.

Thanks for the suggestion of svnmerge.py. I haven't had time to even
think about it. You want to become the release manager for MacPorts?

James