email address anti-spam encoding in portfiles

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Fri May 18 06:58:53 PDT 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 4:39 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 17 May 2007 21:11:03 -0700 James Berry <jberry at macports.org>
> wrote:
>

>> As Ian pointed out, / isn't really good as it's a valid atext
>> character
>> from rfc 2822. So what if we head back to Salvatore's suggestion of:
>
> Actually, you could use any character that isn't valid in an email
> domain, as long as you aren't munging the domain at all, but it's
> likely to be easier to implement with a colon.

well, but given that I've proposed we also allow raw user names
(within the macports.org domain), we really can't use a character
that's legal in the user name, as we'd then be inclined to spit the
user name up, mistaking it for a domain ;)

>> 	suxxex.ac.uk:iane
>
> yes, but it'd better be "sussex"!

Indeed. I guess I was just subconsciously trying to keep you safe
from the spambots!

james