zsh-devel +mp_completion variant thougts

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Sat May 19 10:54:49 PDT 2007

Citando Charlie Allom :
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 03:40:48PM +0200, N_Ox wrote:
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  I've just taken over zsh-devel port and one thing seems idiot to me:
> >  What if there is a macports update and that i want to update the
> >  autocompletion port command file? I'd have to do a new zsh-devel
> >  revision, and everybody would have to rebuild it just for this tiny
> >  update.
> >
> >  So here's my proposal: Shouldn't we make a new "macports" category,
> >  with all of those files which do belong to other ports, but are
> >  macports specific? I think there are other ports like zsh out there
> >  which add files like that.
> >
> >  So in the end, we would have zsh-devel without the mp_completion
> >  variant, and another port named macports/zsh-completion which would
> >  depend on path:${prefix}/bin/zsh:zsh. Nice, isn't it?
>
> just put it in shells/ ala bash-completion,as a sep. port.

the _port completion file does not merit a port for itself, as an emacs
mode for portfile would not. In fact I think that the problem of
emacs mode is the same as the one for zsh completions. Those files can
be installed in the tree independently of the installation of the port.
Then one can add the path to their fpath (for zsh) or emacs modes dir
even for apple's zsh or emacs... The only constraint is that when
installing zsh, the versioned function takes this file into account.

So I think _port should be part of macports, not of a port.

By the way http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/11494

Best regards,

Emmanuel