Buildfarm try

Simon Ruderich simon at ruderich.com
Sun Nov 4 09:51:44 PST 2007

Hi,

first I want to say sorry for my late reply. I was on vacation and busy.
Sorry.

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 04:45:55PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Well, build.html currently lists failures in this order:
>
> ArpSpyX
> gnustep-base
> DesktopManager
> gnustep-base
> gnustep-base
> GNUMail-Aqua
> HandBrake
> gnustep-base
> ID3
> gnustep-base
> qt3-mac
> NotificationWatcher
> gnustep-base
>
> You see my confusion.

Yes, this is weird. Don't know how this happened. Maybe a problem with my
(stupid) parser.

> MacPorts uses curl to download. Curl has options that can be used to
> consider the download failed if the download speed drops below some
> threshold for some period of time. If MacPorts is not currently using this
> option, perhaps it should. It would alleviate this problem. Here's how it's
> done on the command line (from "man curl"):
>
> [snip]

It would be super if someone with knowledge of the port base could check this.
I'm sorry but I can't read the macports source.

> Some ports do take a very long time, and some ports have very many
> dependencies. To start with, maybe it would be good to limit your build farm
> to ports that don't have so many dependencies (including indirect
> dependencies). Just so it doesn't take forever, and so that we start
> learning about the easier-to-fix failures.

Yes, that should be done in our next attempt. But I think we should wait with
a new (and hopeful) better try until the new logging system is integrated.
That should make many things easier.

Thanks,
Simon
--