Speed up build phase with "make -j"

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Mon Nov 5 06:36:54 PST 2007

On 31.10.2007, at 16:35, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2007-10-31 15:57:56 +0100, Markus Weissmann wrote:
>> So the discussion has narrowed to:
>> 1.) disabled by default on an "per-installation" option:
>> Can be toggled system-wide (with default "off"); ports have to
>> actively
>> deny a parallel build attempt;
>>
>> 2.) disabled by default on a per-port option
>> Can be toggled system-wide (with default ?); ports have to
>> actively declare
>> to be build-able in parallel;
>
> Portfiles should be able to say that they support a parallel build and
> that they don't support a parallel build, i.e. you have 3
> possibilities:
> "yes" (which can later be changed to "no" if someone finds that it
> doesn't work on some particular machine), "no" (that could be changed
> to "yes" once the bug has been fixed upstream), and "don't know".

I've just added an option

use_parallel_build [yes|no]

to trunk; if it is set to "yes", "-j N" is added if the number of
desired parallel processes is configured in port.conf (nothing
changed here).
The options defaults to "no", so no ports will break when we release
v1.6.

-Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann