[30721] use_parallel_build / portfile-phase.7.xml

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Mon Nov 5 10:52:36 PST 2007

macports-dev at lists.macosforge.org writes:
>Revision
>[ http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/30721 ]30721
>Author
>mww at macports.org
>Date
>2007-11-05 10:01:13 -0800 (Mon, 05 Nov 2007)
>
>Log Message
>
>use_bzip2 default to 'no';
>document 'use_parallel_build';
>

>Modified Paths
>
>	[
>fcp://@bubbs.biola.edu,%235000280/Mailbox/%23233592931#trunkdocnewmanxmlportfilephase7xml
>]trunk/doc-new/man/xml/portfile-phase.7.xml

Hi Markus,

Thanks again for your diligent work to keep the docs up-to-date.  It is
much appreciated.

One question about "use_parallel_build".  Do you think that keyword
relates to a phase, or should it be considered a "global keyword"?  I
thought perhaps "global", or do you consider it specifically related to
the build phase?  I thought parallelism applied more generally to the port
overall.  But if that were true, I suppose the name would be
"use_parallel_install" or some such, so if you could comment on that it
might clarify it.  If I had followed the recent thread I suppose I would
know this, but I didn't.

I also have to say that I struggled to come up with an organizing
principle for keywords, and I'm not entirely sure that separating them
into "global" (those relating to the port as a whole and not primarily
related to a phase) and "phase" (those relating to a particular phase) is
the best way.  Perhaps there is a better way, but I haven't hit upon it
yet.  So I just wanted to ask if you think given that distinction, if
portfile-phase is the best place for use_parallel_build.  And if you have
an opinion on whether that distinction is adequate or not, I'd welcome
your comments on that as well.

Mark