[30721] use_parallel_build / portfile-phase.7.xml

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Mon Nov 5 11:30:16 PST 2007

Mark Duling writes:
>One question about "use_parallel_build".  Do you think that keyword
>relates to a phase, or should it be considered a "global keyword"?  I
>thought perhaps "global", or do you consider it specifically related to
>the build phase?  I thought parallelism applied more generally to the
>port overall.  But if that were true, I suppose the name would be
>"use_parallel_install" or some such, so if you could comment on that it
>might clarify it.  If I had followed the recent thread I suppose I would
>know this, but I didn't.
>
>I also have to say that I struggled to come up with an organizing
>principle for keywords, and I'm not entirely sure that separating them
>into "global" (those relating to the port as a whole and not primarily
>related to a phase) and "phase" (those relating to a particular phase) is
>the best way.  Perhaps there is a better way, but I haven't hit upon it
>yet.  So I just wanted to ask if you think given that distinction, if
>portfile-phase is the best place for use_parallel_build.  And if you have
>an opinion on whether that distinction is adequate or not, I'd welcome
>your comments on that as well.

Okay, I looked at the thread and I see that "use_parallel_build" does
indeed relate specifically to the build phase.  I should have done that
before sending the email.  Sorry.  I gotta stop trying to think in the
morning without caffeine.  :)

Perhaps I was influenced by my recollections that some ports stop
installing outside of the build phase until another port is finished
installing.  At least I think I've seen this.  If that is so and a ports
hangs at activate or another phase until another port completes, it seems
like parallel building still wouldn't get parallel installs.

Mark