1.6 release?

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Tue Nov 6 03:38:29 PST 2007

On 05.11.2007, at 22:16, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 	Hey everyone!
>
> 	It's very pleasing to see the amount of work that has gone into
> base since our last release, but the negative side of that is that
> our current code delta between trunk and the last release branch is
> huge. Therefore I propose we make a 1.6 release with a new release
> branch from scratch, cut off from trunk ToT.
>
> 	For that to happen, it would be nice to have some input on the
> current state of trunk:
>
> -) does any developer in particular plan to include new features/
> improvements in the near future? If so, do these entail any obvious
> instability we should account for?
>   *) Markus, anything else we should look forward to in your recent
> slew of build stage related improvements?

Nothing too spectacular: The most significant additions in configure/
build are Anders' parallel build jobs and a bunch of configure-
options for more comfortable access to often-used environment variables.
This all has been done very conservative: The configure-options code
is very straight and the parallel build jobs are off by default. We
could switch the default to auto in a later release so the number of
parallel build threads is oriented at the number of cores of the
build machine, but not for 1.6.

-Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann