/Library/Frameworks violates layout

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Nov 6 03:45:45 PST 2007

Randall Wood wrote:

>> 	So, do we have an agreement on this? Any objections to turning on
>> warnings against /Library/Frameworks in the upcoming MacPorts 1.6? I
>> support to move to discourage writing to that directory, gcc's -F
>> flag should allow any application needing a framework to look for it
>> under prefix, just as Anders makes it clean in his message. Any
>> reason why we *shouldn't* move our frameworks into prefix?
>
> There are no reasons other than esthetics (I would prefer something
> like /Library/MacPorts/Frameworks, but like I said, thats merely an
> cosmetic concern). Go for it.

The main question here is whether we should add the prefix framework
path to the default search, so that it is picked up automatically by
ports trying to use the frameworks (just like -I and -L are adding the
prefix search paths already)... ?

/Library/MacPorts/Frameworks has the worst of both worlds, it still
clutters /Library (outside of prefix) but is not in the default
framework search path either (so you still need to add something to GCC
/ Xcode in order for them to find it properly)

I'm not sure how much besides libsdl*-framework uses /Library, but
probably some Xcode apps ?

--anders