/Library/Frameworks violates layout

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Nov 6 06:59:51 PST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007, at 7:45 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Randall Wood wrote:
>
>>> 	So, do we have an agreement on this? Any objections to turning
>>> on warnings against /Library/Frameworks in the upcoming MacPorts
>>> 1.6? I support to move to discourage writing to that directory,
>>> gcc's -F flag should allow any application needing a framework to
>>> look for it under prefix, just as Anders makes it clean in his
>>> message. Any reason why we *shouldn't* move our frameworks into
>>> prefix?
>>
>> There are no reasons other than esthetics (I would prefer
>> something like /Library/MacPorts/Frameworks, but like I said,
>> thats merely an cosmetic concern). Go for it.
>
> The main question here is whether we should add the prefix
> framework path to the default search, so that it is picked up
> automatically by ports trying to use the frameworks (just like -I
> and -L are adding the prefix search paths already)... ?

	I guess we can figure that out as we move forward with the change.
If we see a bunch of -F flags leaking into our Portfiles maybe we can
think of a set of suitable defaults in base that will spare us the -I
& -L dance for frameworks.

> /Library/MacPorts/Frameworks has the worst of both worlds, it still
> clutters /Library (outside of prefix) but is not in the default
> framework search path either (so you still need to add something to
> GCC / Xcode in order for them to find it properly)

	Other than adding gcc flags to base/Portfiles, what really would
worry me is breaking anything by moving frameworks into our prefix.
That being sorted out, I'd say there's good consensus to move them.

	Regards,...

-jmpp