1.6 release?

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Nov 6 04:38:38 PST 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> -) does any developer in particular plan to include new
> features/improvements in the near future? If so, do these entail any
> obvious instability we should account for?

The "mpkg" target is left to update to PackageMaker, and
rpm/python/yum/smart/etc will be updated to RPM 4.5 and Python 2.5 at
some point (currently using RPM 4.4 and Python 2.4)

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12329 (smart)
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13049 (mpkg)

But the FreeBSD and Fedora support is pretty much done (except for
documentation), so it's mostly ports left to do on my account (doing
the aforementioned ones, and Xfce desktop)

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12749 (xfce)
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12439 (docs)

"port lint" (which is still a tad broken) and
build.jobs/build.nice/configure.ccache/configure.distcc are the biggest
additions to MacPorts 1.6 that I have done (as well as some feature
improvements like LZMA and XAR). The most user-visible features will be
the new website and the new guide, though. Unless the new interface
(GUI) and new packages (RPM) are ready to go in time for the 1.6.0
release, which I'm somewhat doubting whether it's even reasonable and
realistic. And they could just as well go in a "MacPorts 2.0" ?

For ports, the biggest update seems to be:
- Python 2.4 => Python 2.5
- RPM 4.4.9 => RPM 4.5.0
- Mozilla 1.7 => Seamonkey
- Xfce 4.2.4 => Xfce 4.4.1
As well as better Leopard/BSD/GNU support.

--anders