Change in commit mails format

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Fri Nov 16 21:51:59 PST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007, at 4:40 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>>    I feel this is a small but big improvement in readability of our
>> commit mails, thanks again to Bill for making things happen! The one
>> (hopefully small) drawback is that now subscribing to macports-
>> changes
>> will be have to be strictly enforced among us committers (it was
>> already
>> a requirement), as otherwise your mails will be rejected by the
>> mailing
>> list server. So, please, do sign up if you're a committer and are not
>> already on the list,
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/mailman/listinfo/macports-changes
>
> Sorry to step in that late, but wouldn't it be enough to set a
> Reply-To-Header in the mails,

	You mean keep the generic "source_chanegs" and insert the real
committer Id in a Reply-To header?

	The reason the From field was changed has nothing to do with the
resulting list of recipients when replying [all] to one of those
mails, but actually popular demand (which admittedly quiet down lately
'cause this is not a project life threatening issue, I know, and there
were more pressing matters to attend to). With the real committer in
 From it's easier to know who's the commit author right off-hand,
without having to open it. Nevertheless,....

> so the original committer will be
> automatically in the recipient list when someone hits Reply All. This
> was the intention, wasn't it?

	The way mails are currently showing up is with a Reply-To header set
to macports-dev, this list, but I'm not too sure where that's coming
from as I can't see it anywhere on the Mailman admin page for the
changes list. Is it maybe happening at the post-commit hook level, Bill?

	Other than that, if you now reply to our commit mails, your response
is sent to this list; if you instead reply-all, you get this list and
the changes one, as that's where the message was really posted to (but
no one should really post there manually). In none of those two cases
you get this list and the committer, which I agree is the best
scenario, even though the reply-to field is set to this list.

	If we remove that reply-to field and you reply to a commit mail, your
message will go directly to the committer and you'll miss this list (a
valid case scenario). If you reply-all then you get the committer and
changes... So, in short, I'm a bit lost as to how to achieve committer
+ dev list. Advise?

> Well, let's see how many mails get rejected from the list, otherwise
> this would be a reasonable solution without losing mails.

	I've implemented Daniel's suggestion of an auto accept filer for all *@macports.org
  addresses, but I'm a bit afraid of spammers forging the From field.
We'll see how it goes.

> Rainer

	Regards,...

-jmpp