MAMP setup with Macports?

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Wed Nov 21 07:17:37 PST 2007

Hey Ryan and others,

I don't know where this stands, exactly, but it _would_ be really cool
if getting mysql5 to run was only a matter of:

	- sudo port install mysql5 +server
	- sudo port load mysql5

	(and the the end result of this would be that the server is actually
running and usable)

Of course at the moment, that doesn't work, because:

	- You have to apply a default my.cnf file
	- You have to do various database setup things
	- There is no port load command

What else? It would be really cool to think this issue through for
mysql (and apache2, and php) so that we can make this smooth. What
infrastructure enhancements do we need to make this super easy? We're
not there yet.

Potential enhancements:

	- port load command
	- automated way to specify that default conf files be applied
	- usable activation phase?

Thoughts? Hopefully this work would apply to lots of ports, but I
think it would be useful to focus on a few key ports, like the
aforementioned MAMP.

James